Wednesday, January 31, 2007

January 29

I am writing this from my comfybed at the Sopa Lodge overlooking the Ngorogoro Crater. The view from the lodgeis fantastic, but the wildlife to be seen IN the crater is even better. Wildebeest, eland, elephant, lion, hyene, cape buffalo, gazelles, flamingo - it's nothing short of inspiring.

Because I haven't had a chance to call home yet or update my blog, I called Mom and dad tonight after dinner. It was great to hear their voices, and let them know we were ok. Trent and I are both a bit homesick. It was a very expensive call, so I kept it short. Just long enough to let them know we were ok and still having fun.

I will hopefully have a chance to update the blog 2 nights from now when we get to Ndutu.

The Sopa Lodge has a cat! He's very cute and friendly, but doesn't like to be picked up. It's nice to spend some time with him. If I squint really hard, I might be able to imagine him being an 80 pound Bosco....... :)

Being at the top of the crater, we are at... over 7,000 feet? Wow!~ Calgary is what - 3,200??? Yikes, I have to get to bed. Tomorrow we leave the hotel at 07:00 for a FULL DAY in the crater. I can't wait! Trent said he'd try it, but odds are he and a few others will return to the hotel at midday. There are only 4 real "keeners" in the group, and we'll all be at the crater for the full day, for sure.

No comments: